Which pregnancy test to choose. Detailed guide
You can determine pregnancy thanks to rapid tests. They show results in a few minutes, are suitable for everyone, and are inexpensive. The modern market offers a huge assortment at prices ranging from $10 to $40. How to choose an accurate pregnancy test and what is the difference between them? We answer in this article.
Table of Contents
How do pregnancy tests work?
The principle of operation is the same: the reaction to the hormone hCG. When it comes into contact with it, a strip on the diagnostic field is colored. If a second, even pale one, is added to the control bar, then the result is positive.
What are the types of tests and how do they differ?
|Price. The most budget-friendly type of tests on the market. From 10 rubles||Low sensitivity|
|It is recommended to carry out only in the morning|
|It’s a one-time service. the result will quickly disappear|
|If used improperly, the test strips may blur and the result will not be able to be determined|
Electronic Pregnancy Test
|The result is clearly visible. There are models with an indicator of the gestational age in weeks||Price. A model with a term indicator starts at 917 rubles.|
|There is a hygienic cap||The result disappears when the battery runs out|
|High sensitivity. Determines pregnancy 5 days before the expected one
|Long wait for the result compared to other tests|
|The test can be performed either with or without a urine container.|
Tablet Pregnancy Test
|Hygienic application with a pipette||Low sensitivity|
|You can save it as a keepsake|
Jet Pregnancy Test
|No need to collect urine in a separate container||More expensive than a test strip|
|Quick results||Low sensitivity|
|If used improperly, the dough strips may become blurred and
you won’t be able to determine the result
What should I pay attention to when buying?
- Quantity. There are several pieces in a package. This will affect the price: it is higher because of quantity, not quality.
- Sensitivity. It is measured in milli international units per milliliter (mIU / ml). The lower the sensitivity number, the earlier the test determines pregnancy.
- A sterile test container will come in handy to conveniently collect urine.
How to choose a pregnancy test?
- You have a premonition that you are pregnant. For example, the calendar shows delayed menstruation. Any of the tests will work for you. The maximum amount of HCG hormone in the body in the morning, then the result is more accurate. But modern quality tests determine it at any time.
- You suspect pregnancy and want to please your partner with this news — an electronic test with a cap. The result is immediately clear, you don’t have to guess. The cap eliminates contact with urine.
The second option is a tablet test. It won’t run out of battery and will last for a long time. Disadvantage: the result is not so obvious, it is easy to confuse it with a COVID-19 test.
- You’ve been planning a pregnancy for some time, and you can’t wait to find out if conception has occurred. Choose an electronic test. It will detect pregnancy 5 days before the delay in menstruation. The disadvantage of this option is only in the price. You can use an ovulation test as an alternative.
Why do I need an ovulation test?
Helps determine the most successful days for conception. Especially useful for women with irregular cycles.
The test responds to luteinizing hormone (LH). It is released 24-36 hours before the onset of ovulation — the moment when conception is most likely.
As a method of contraception, the test is not suitable. Spermatozoa remain active in the female body for several days. Let’s say the result is negative. If ovulation occurs not after 36 hours, but, for example, 48, the test will not show it. The probability of getting pregnant without protection will be high.
Before applying any test, be sure to read the instructions.
Are there any false results?
Manufacturers claim up to 99% accuracy. But failures occur both in tests and in the female body. Therefore, if you see a positive result, contact your gynecologist. They will confirm the pregnancy and tell you what to do next.