Sinusitis: How to recognize and win
Sinusitis — what is it? Just a runny nose or a serious illness? When do I need a doctor and how do I blow my nose? These questions are answered by a Category I doctor with 30 years of experience, otorhinolaryngologist, audiologist Irina Gromova.
- sinusitis-in the maxillary sinus
- etmoidite-in the cells of a trellis maze
- sphenoiditis – in the sphenoid sinus
- frontitis — in the frontal sinus
Table of Contents
How to determine
Symptoms of acute sinusitis are similar to a viral infection: headache, fever, cough, nasal congestion, weakness. Only a doctor can make a diagnosis during a full-time examination: he will determine whether there is an inflammatory process, edema, pus, and pain in the paranasal sinuses.
It should alert you:
- eye pain, photophobia
- discharge of pus from the nose
- mucus is poorly otsmarkivaetsya
Due to the similarity of symptoms with other diseases, do not delay your visit to the doctor. Improper treatment provokes the addition of a bacterial infection. The disease will be delayed, and treatment will cost more.
In the treatment of sinusitis, use:
- antihistamines for allergic rhinitis
- antibiotics in case of bacterial infection
- nasal lavage
- vasoconstrictor drugs to reduce edema
- sinus puncture (possible from 5 years of age)
How to blow your nose
Clean your nose properly: teach your children not to suck in snot, but to blow first one nostril, then the other. If the nose is blocked, you must first remove the swelling with drops. If you suffer from sinusitis more than 5 times a year, the clinic should put you on the dispensary register.
The doctor uses 2 ways to wash the nose
- “Cuckoo” or the method of moving along the Proetz. A solution is poured into one nostril and sucked out of the other under pressure. Pressure pulls accumulated fluid out of the sinuses. During the procedure, the patient should say “peek-a-boo”, from this and the name. The procedure is performed for children over 3 years of age.
- Nasal shower. This is a more gentle way to clean your nose. They are also used at home if you have the skill.
How not to get sick
- Strengthen the immune system: hardening, seasonal vitamin therapy
- Timely treatment of acute respiratory viral infections
- Check with your doctor if your nasopharynx is fine. You may need to remove the adenoids and fix the nasal septum.
Sinusitis is common in both adults and children. Modern medicine allows you to quickly deal with the disease. The main thing is to diagnose and start treatment in time. Be healthy!